Wednesday, November 5, 2008

2009 Training Starts Early

O.K., so I decided for the first time to start training for the 2009 triathlon season before the New Year. There are a few reasons driving this decision:
  1. For the first time in a long time my season was done before Labor Day, so I have already had two months to rest and recuperate.
  2. I am really not happy with my weight right now (185ish lbs., which is not terrible for this time of year, but I want to race next year at 170-175), and I simply burn more calories when I am training.
  3. I want to try something different this year in my training plan -- I am going to concentrate on running for two months, biking for two months, and then swimming for a month before settling into a more conventional triathlon training schedule. Thus, starting early will give me plenty of time to build my base this way before jumping into a training routine that incoporates all three disciplines.

Yesterday I ran for 30 minutes at 8:00/mile pace (my first run since my last triathlon), and today I just did the elliptical machine for 30. I'm going to try and do a better job of keeping the blog updated this year, but I'm not promising anything...

No comments: