Sunday, January 6, 2008

A Good First Week of Training, and a New Toy


On Thursday I lifted weights -- heavy chest and triceps. I will probably start to back off the heavy weights soon -- with my bad right shoulder, I do not think swimming and heavy weightlifting is such a great idea. Friday I did another half an hour run on the treadmill at 8:00 pace, which was pretty uneventful. Saturday morning I hit the weights again for back and biceps, followed by my first spinning class in almost two years at my gym. I forgot how much I enjoy spinning -- it is such an intense workout! I was surprised by how high my heart rate got during the class -- definitely a sign I am not in good shape. All in all, I was really pleased with my first week of training. Below are my training totals for last week:
  • 2 runs (1 hour)
  • 1 spinning class (45 minutes)
  • 2 weightlifting sessions (2 hours)
This morning I ran outside, which I rarely do during the winter (I am a self-admitted wimp when it comes to cold weather). The main reason I decided to venture outdoors was to test out my new toy, the Garmin Forerunner 205 GPS watch. It is really cool -- I love the fact it can tell me exactly how far I have gone, which will be especially helpful when I am running in areas I am not familiar with. After a slow first mile, I gradually picked up the pace and ended up running four miles in 7:43 pace, which I am extremely happy with, given it is only my third run this year.

No comments: